Sunday, June 7, 2009

What’s in an Angle?

This time I thought we could look at a few interesting photos.

Once upon a time there was an Aussie prime minister and his treasurer who lasted over 10 years in those positions. The prime minister has his back to the camera in this little parliamentary snap shot. There was, from time to time, some conjecture about who was in control.






While I’m not rugby fan this man caught my eye. There are plenty of pictures of him on the interweb in various stages of undress and while nice, very nice in fact, I found his smile to good to overlook here and just provide a tease about the rest of him. I suspect that with a name like Ben Cohen he may not always comfortably tour the Middle East, but that’s their loss.




So why these pics?

Well let’s look at the men in suits running a country.
· Firstly there’s always an angle on the way anything can be viewed. This is a camera angle creating a range of possibilities.
· Then there’s the way a viewers mind can perceive an angle. For some, including me, there is a very obvious aspect – fellatio. But there’s also sub text on power and control that could be read into it.
· Finally for me, taking all the above into account, it’s just plain funny.

There is a goodly metaphor in all this. All three points can apply to anything in life and can be applied by anyone.
1. How we see some thing, albeit from a single angle or multiple points, can be from influenced by how we were brought up and what has happened to us over our life.
2. How we interpret things is the same, it’s about views and angles.
3. What’s funny, sad, provocative or pleasing is all too often overlooked too. Sometimes we do things or respond emotionally “just because”.

Then there’s Ben Cohen. Aesthetics is all this is about for me. And you could say that my point three above is a reflection of just this.

NB. I can’t locate the photo authors or owners so if copyright is a problem please let me know and I will remove them.

No comments:

Post a Comment