Sunday, August 23, 2009

Quotes, Birthday Parties and Nuclear Dead-Shits

LIGHT TRAVELS FASTER THAN SOUND
THIS IS WHY SOME PEOPLE APPEAR BRIGHT
UNTIL YOU HEAR THEM SPEAK.

First you might think that funny, then maybe rather closer to the truth than you might like, but finally, off course, you know it’s just true. So your life goes on.

Ever hear of a American on-line journal called Mother Jones – it’s well worth a look folks.

Want to know what’s true? Really, horribly true? There’s a truly awful article in Mother Jones Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the current nuclear armed world. Between China, USA, Russia, France, Britain, Israel, Pakistan, India and [probably] North Korea, there are about 27,000 – that’s THOUSAND - active nuclear warheads. Enough to make you shit yourself if you really thought about it.

This is awful because so many countries that have these vile weapons are unstable – Pakistan, Israel, India and Russia in my opinion. The others are probably only marginally better because of their political ultra-right wing and One God religious extremists. Its enough to remind of my youthful anti-nuclear dedication and to seriously consider going back there.

After reading this article I’m giving thought to learning to fold an origami paper crane – the bird kind, not David Leavitt's Lost Language kind. Mind you that’s remarkable book in itself, which didn’t film so well because it got a bit to obscure.

On a brighter note and regular readers will know this column is not prone to nudity, though close to it sometimes. Here’s a dragon that caught my eye recently. It's real; there are other parts where I found this but not for now




I spend a weekend in Sydney recently at 40th birthday celebrations of two good friends recently. Laughed me tits off, I did. About so many things. Sometimes the health benefits of just getting away from routine and home can’t be under-estimated. I think most of the diverse crowd at the various activities from Friday night to Sunday lunchtime had lots of fun. There was an age range from early 20s to 86. Straights, Gays, Lesbians, Africans, Sri Lankans, Pilipinos, fair skinned red heads to ex-husband’s of drag queens to oka Aussie country boys. Imagine all that time together and no drama, no violence. Plenty of crude humour, lots of facial question marks, tons of learning; and all that wrapped up in a good time. And with good food and wine.

Soon I have to learn more about my Facebook site and how to use it better – and maybe even understand what it really does. So many others do, so belatedly I’ve decided some degree of “social networking” is for me. When I do I may even put a link to my Facebook page in here. We’ll see.

I’ll leave you with another lovely quote from someone or another -

“We’ll be friends until we are old and senile. Then we’ll be NEW friends”

No comments:

Post a Comment